Monday, February 4, 2013

Update: Port Problems

Just an update about what happened with my port. Saturday; my mom and I got up and went and had an X-ray done of my chest to see if my port had moved out of place again. Thankfully it hadn't, which meant to procedure to fix it!!!! We waited around for about a half hour to get a call from my doctor telling us where we had to go next. He called and said since the nurse treatment room where we were was closed on the weekends, we had to go all the way out to my doctors office. Which is about a half an hour away from where we were at the time. And once we got there the plan was to put TPA (tissue plasminogen activator, it breaks down blood clots) in and leave it there for a few hours. Well the question I had was; how did they plan on getting the TPA in my port if it wasn't flushing/working? Once, we got to our second stop of the day. We got taken back into a room right away, which was really nice considering sitting in a room full of sick people isn't good for me. Yes, I do wear a mask when I'm in a situation like that. But lets be honest, non of us like to wear those dang mask. Anyways, one of my favorite nurses was working which is always nice! The first thing he attempted to do was flush it and the last two days it hadn't been able to the flush which is why we were in this whole mess. So what happens when he goes to flush it? IT WORKED!!!!!!! Of course!  But it was still a little tough to flush so I decided to have him put the TPA in just to be safe! When all was said and done, it was still kind of tough but I was just happy it was working again :) Kind of frustrating though at the same time, only because we spent so much freaking time trying to "fix" it. Five hours in the ER and then four hours doing stuff on saturday. But that's just life for ya! It works and that's all that matters :)

Also, we have officially started the countdown tell mom and I go to california to meet with the transplant team down there!!! In exactly ONE week we'll be down there!!!! We'll be there February 11th-14th. And my appointments are on the 12th and 13th. It's gonna be an exhausting couple of days that I'm both dreading and ready for. I will be posting as much as I can, but I imagine I'm gonna be pretty tired so it might just happen when I get home. I'm excited for many different reasons. First; I'm excited about the fact that all of my hard work and all of the hoops I've jumped through are finally going to be recognized. Second; I'm hopeful that I am gonna get listed!!! (Fingers crossed!!!) And last but not least; I GET TO SEE MY BEST FRIEND!!!!!! 

I can't wait to see my best friend!!!!

Prayers and good thoughts are always welcome and appreciated <3

-Amanda :) 

1 comment: